8 Things To Know Before Moving To Austin
- THE HEAT – A lot of people are unprepared for the sweltering Texas heat and invariably retreat back to the safety of their air conditioning. With temperatures on a rise throughout the world, Austin continues to crush its own records and prove that yes, it can be hotter. Keeping a water bottle close by is one of the best practices to adopt in your Texan lifestyle.
- THE FOOD – In Austin, we are serious about what we eat and how it’s made. Waiting outside a BBQ joint before the sun even rises till opening is almost a rite of passage for most and is a decently common experience. No matter where you look, you are sure to find a food truck, brunch options, or some good tacos.
- THE TRAFFIC – Every city has their own quirks when it comes to roads but in Austin, you can find yourself cruising down the highway with no one in sight only to get caught in some traffic that takes a half hour to move a couple miles. With more and more people coming to the city, our infrastructure is feeling the weight of that burden and causes traffic to build up sometimes. Plan your commute well and you can beat the rush. This leads me to my next point.
- THE WEIRD- ‘Austinites’ like to make a fuss about new additions to the city – Austin is a great place to move. As a result, people have started to recognize this and is why we have so many people moving in every day. But more people isn’t exactly ideal and the local residents often whine about the issues that come along with it. But soon after you move to Austin, you might find yourself saying the same things.
- THE MUSIC – If you don’t enjoy music, you’re about to. Being the Live Music Capital of the world, Austin takes pride in our live bands and nightlife. It isn’t hard to find a show to go to and venues around town provide a wide array of options. The annual ACL and SXSW festivals showcase our love for music that much more and provide some interesting experiences for newcomers.
- SO CAUSAL- No need to be so formal – Residents in Austin tend to be more casual dressers and often seem relaxed when outside. Unless your job specifically requires a sharper attire, you could pass quite easily in some shorts and sandals. No one would blame you. We’ve felt the heat.
- BODIES OF WATER- You don’t need to look for a pool – With waterways throughout parts of the city, it’s easy to find isolated areas where you can take a dip and enjoy with some friends. A common pastime of many people is to visit the nearby lakes and take advantage of the cooler water.
- The Matthew McConaughey – If you move to Austin, you have to love this man. Even a part of our local schooling system, McConaughey is a treasure in this city and is often seen at sporting events or getting his school spirit on. If you’re lucky enough, maybe you’ll get to hear his, “alright, alright, alright”.