How Can You Make Working From Home Fun?
Working from home is here to stay.
After several companies announced a complete work from home environment for their staff, people are now looking for more ways to make it productive.
Some people love working from home, and they can’t imagine anything better than a day with their laptop clad in pajama pants. Others miss the structure and the casual chats with coworkers that happen at their offices. Whether you love it or hate it, working remote — for those who can do it; not every job lends itself to this kind flexibility — is going to be common for many of us in the near future due to the pandemic.
At the home office, it’s easy for you to become your own worst enemy. Because when you’re not surrounded by coworkers, you’re free to drop those pesky inhibitions. At the home office, no one’s watching. You don’t necessarily feel that same peer pressure or communal obligation to get stuff done.
Here are some very normal tips for you to make your work from home fun-
- Take care of your body – Because of this pandemic, people are compelled to stay at one place. Which has in turn limited the physical movements of people. Working from home can make it easy to forget about your body’s basic needs. You likely do some walking in the course of an office workday — to the office from the train or bus or parking lot, between meetings, to the café for more coffee — and these movement breaks disappear when everything you need is within a couple of rooms in your home. Try setting a timer for a yoga or workout to break up a long email session.
- Team Chat (Not Just for Work) – More than 95% of our team’s communication takes place either on Slack or Zoom. Team chat is a huge asset to any remote team, but what many people don’t talk about is the social aspect of it. Have off-work-conversations with your team that you’d otherwise use for casual social interaction in an office.
- Pretend like you are going into the office – The mental association you make between work and an office can make you more productive, and there’s no reason that feeling should be lost when telecommuting. When working from home, do all the things you’d do to prepare for an office role: Set your alarm, make (or go get) coffee, and wear nice clothes. Internet browsers like Google Chrome even allow you to set up multiple accounts with different toolbars on the top — for example, a toolbar for home and a separate toolbar for work.
- Listen to Music – Listening to the right music while working helps with concentration. And it’s a lot more fun than working in silence.
- Spend Time With Family – Spend equal amount of time with your family members for normalcy. Many people slog for hours while at work and forget to spend time with family. When you usually visit the office, there is a certain time everyday when you leave the office. But with work from home, these hours usually get extended. Which makes the personal lives suffer.
Staying at home is making people reconnect with the lost ones. At SOAL Tech, we’re committed to providing better opportunities for work from home to everyone.